Where to buy UPF50 trousers / pants

Without bug repellent etc on them. It is much harder than I thought. Macpac and Kathmandu seem to be branching into casual gear for everyone, rather than specifically outdoor clothing. I see they have some upf 25 and a couple of garments in upf 50, but is there anywhere else with a better range? Or do I have to import? I used like like the columbia stuff but they seem to have exited the NZ market (which I am mourning pretty hard!) Appreciate any help with this.
A long time ago a tv1 programme called target did a test on board shorts and t shirts. They comented that only one pair of board shorts was rated at upf50 but every pair tested got results of 100+. Even those upf25s could be well over 50
Interesting... so I suppose upf30 would suffice. Just had a check and my old columbia fishing shirt was upf30 and it did the job. RIP shows like Target and Fair Go. Much needed in this current world.
I darken quite well in the sun so generall dont bother with sun protection unless its going to be a lot of sun. I know people that come from the same place as me that get sunburnt looking at a photo of the sun. Use the level of protection you need.
Geeves, dark skin does not protect you from melanoma - and it's UV exposure, not sunburn, that is the main cause (but not the only one). True, dark skin (ie high melanin content) does give some protection from some forms of melanoma but increases the risk of other forms. ALL people should limit sun exposure. BTW, just in case some don't know; SPF is the reciprocal of UV transmission. So, SPF 50 = 1/50 of the UV (in other words 2% ie screens 98%). SPF 20 is 1/20 = 5% (screens 95%) SPF50+ means it screens at least 98%. The tests are not reliable above this so governments restrict what marketers can claim. CLATE, what's the issue with bug repellant claims? It's not like it actually works :)
sunburn isnt the main cause of skin cancer. people who work in the sun have a lower incidence of skin cancer than people who don't the higher vitamin d you get from being in the sun longer protects you from skin cancer its a junk food diet combined with excessive sun exposure that gives you skin cancer... loads of native peoples around the equator run around exposed to the sun with little protection, if they eat traditional natural diets they dont have skin problems because their skin is healthy from natural foods, especailly high quality unprocessed fats and oils, especially coconut oil,, half your cell walls are made up of fats and the quality of the fat you eat determines the quality of the fat in those cells and the likelihood to get skin cancer, my relatives are orchardists and live in the sun in summer in shorts and short shirt sleeves, they eat well and dont get skin cancer .... in australia you're more likely to get cancer the further south you live away from the stronger sun. but still getting sunburnt still isnt adviseable but its debateable that you need such high protection from the sun as UPF 50... i tramp in shorts and short sleeve shirts all summer... dont use sunscreen, no skin issues... if you still want higher protection, try bivouac or Macpac

This thread branched to "Sun and skin" on . Explore the branch (17 messages).

If you've already Googled the brand stores & the likes of NZ Safety, then just choosing wisely from regular clothing can get you somewhat there, as Geeves suggested. 'DermNet NZ' suggests these fabrics - Specially manufactured fabrics for sun protection Blue or black denim jeans Merino wool garments 100% polyester Shiny polyester blends Satin-finish silk of any weight Tightly woven fabrics Unbleached cotton .... and these tips - Choose clothing made from fabrics that provide better protection, e.g. 100% polyester (high UPF as it contains a benzene ring that absorbs UV light) Wear dark clothing instead of white. Dark colours provide 5 times more protection than white because the dye absorbs UV rays. Choose clothing that is made from tightly woven fabrics Wear long sleeves, long pants, long skirts and shirts with collars and high necklines Wear loose fitting clothing – the folds in loose clothing double the fabric’s sun protection Cover up with dry clothes after swimming or getting wet Wash clothes with detergents that contain optical fluorescent brighteners to make clothes appear whiter or brighter. These act like dyes and improve the UV absorption of fabric so making them more sun protective. Web page is worth a look ?. https://www.dermnetnz.org/topics/sun-protective-clothing/
"in australia you're more likely to get cancer the further south you live away from the stronger sun. " The reason for that is the ozone hole. Thats why we have such high rates as well. The ozone hole is shrinking and may even disappear in our grandkids lifetimes and then our melenoma rates should drop to similar levels to Spain. Its always going to be higher than tropical countrys because we have predominatly pale skin Also because we have winters we lose any aquired protection
I bought some Outdoor Research Sunsleeves last year and they are fantastic. UPF 50. Keeps the skin cool while prevents burning. Use them tramping and MTBing. They used to do leg versions but discontinued them... https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/gear-and-accessories/gloves-and-mittens/sun-sleeves-and-gloves/activeice-sun-sleeves/p/2501480489016

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by contour_lines_are_the_enemy
On 12 December 2017
Replies 8
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown