Apply your backcountry nutrition knowledge

So we're all experts on keeping healthy and fed from as light a pack as possible, right? Now help me apply that knowledge to a more critical cause. If you could afford the freight to send just 10kg of food a month to a mate in a country where the basics (except fruit and salt) have ceased to be available or affordable: what would you send? We're talking provincial Venezuela. Dairy is unavailable (at Bs 200000 - half the fortnightly wage for 1l of milk. If you can find any). Meat is likewise too expensive to form any significant part of the diet. . Flour is unavailable. Even rice hard to come by. Answers by Friday please.
11 comments
11–11 of 11

Thanks for all the replies on this one. Regarding sending food packages I finally tracked down a freight-forwarding company in Miami that can forward parcels to regional Venezuela at per cubic foot cost (US$90 per 3 cubic feet), rather than $30 per kg as is the case from NZ by NZ Post. Linking that up with the ability to order limited grocery products shipped by USPS from Amazon makes a viable and affordable way of getting food parcel out there with some 'real' food products in them. Sadly that means anchor milk & all the other iconic kiwi brands will not be winging their way to Venezuela. Instead tax dodging multinationals like Amazon will be profiting instead - and US brands I've never heard of. But needs must. We have sent a parcel of clothes and a few kiwi treats - so some icons will make it there. Assuming that the freight company live up to their promises - the first food parcel has yet to arrive - the only catch is the Venezuelan customs limit on US$100 of value per parcel before the recipient has to pay import duties. For all those Venezuelans sending food parcels back to family - not an issue as they can lie on the declaration of value. But for me with Amazon shipping the docket attached to the parcel, I lose that ability to fiddle the figures. I'll be integrating your thoughts on nutrition into the parcels - but with the key difference that $cost rather than weight are now the limiting factors. Thanks again.
11–11 of 11

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Food
Started by madpom
On 28 November 2017
Replies 10
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown