Two person/ double entry tent

I am looking for something for the summer so doesn't need to be high spec. Just somewhere to sleep when the huts are full. Have thought of the Kiwi Camping Weka 2 Hiker Tent. Any thoughts?
24 comments
11–20 of 24

Wow! These forums can really go off track sometimes. So what I want to know is the following. 1. Has anyone used a Kiwi Camping Weka 2 Hiker Tent, and if so did the floor leak as suggested by Waynowski? 2. Has anyone found a two person / double entry tent they like? If so what brand is it and where did you buy it? What I don't want to know is that UV deteriorates tent fabric and climbing ropes or cheap tents aren't as good as expensive tents. I already know that. I don't need a tent for my next assault on the South face of the Eiger but rather camping with a mate in some low altitude South Island valley. Yes I know the weather can change in 10 minutes and a cold front could come thru and we will both freeze to death but let me worry about that. So no more preachy know-it-all rants but instead some sensible advice on tents.
I have a Sierra Designs Lightning 2 that I imported back when the NZD was worth a lot more USD (landed it for under $400). It's an exceptional 3 season tent that ticks all my boxes - light enough, strong, roomy, easy to pitch, double entry. Have had it out in some shocking weather with no issues.
Never tried the Weka, at 2.4kg I would consider it too heavy. Currently have a Tarptent Double Moment, 1.5kg with the double inner, 1.150kg with single inner if I am travelling solo. Quick to erect and take down. This model no longer manufactured but you might like to check their range.
no need to be so rude about it, people are trying to help for free in their own time and all you can do is whinge
Ive got two 2 person tents that we use regulary. One is an outer limits vortex which is over 10 years old. The 5000 mm floor has just started leaking , as in last week. Im going to re waterproof it as the tent still has plenty of life in it if the kids are careful with the zips. The other is a weka 2 that we have found hasn't leaked... yet. We do pitch them where it won't flood and has good drainage. If I could afford better and lighter tents I would buy them, but till then we are happy for our needs. Edit to add, the vortex which is obsolete but does have another model to replace it (not sure the name) is a single entry. But we find it easier to get in and out of than the low weka entries. The weka 2 is 100 grams heavier than advertised too.
Looking at the specs and comparing to a few other options in the same price range. I think this will be fine for what you want. I would take your requirements as a general purpose tent that can be taken tramping. Its not the lightest cheapest dryest most robust tent out there but it is a good compromise. Make it cheaper and you have to put up with a less desirable option from the above. Make it work better at staying dry or handling wind and the price goes through the roof unless it gets heavier at the same time. Make it lighter and unless its a very expensive tent it may not be there in the morning if the conditions get really bad. 2.4 kg isnt that bad for two people. Buy a large nylon dry bag at the same time as you buy the tent. Separate the poles and fly into one bag and the pegs and inner into the other and then its 1.2kg each give or take a little. Ive seen 4.5kg Warehouse tents in the bush. Everyone laughs at them but they laughed at Ladas as well but they got the job done
We have the Exped Mira II with double entry (on sale at Bivouac). Great 2-person tent at 2kg. But we take along a footprint as the floor is not fully waterproof in soggy conditions (5000 mm). The Weka looks decent enough - maybe just take a groundsheet if it looks like rain? Sometimes just changing the guylines can make it a sturdier setup. Amongst all the good ideas and interesting discussion, your question will be answered, eventually... :-) Good luck finding a suitable tent and have fun out there.
I`ve used an Exped Mira 11 for a while.I like it because, more often than not,I just take the outer fly & have a floor that clips into the poles.Lightish,airey and weatherproof... I`ve tried bivvy bags but found condensation an issue,even with the zip undone.But good as an emergency shelter and only 500gms.If the band played,and you were within cooee of a hut,then crash on the hut floor.
Thanks to all of the forum contributors who have given me good advice. To hutchk, I liked the look of the Lightning 2 and even though it only got one door it's a big one. To FrankB, I see the replacement of the Double Moment seems to be the Double Rainbow. Do you know if there are any NZ shops stocking Tarptent stuff? Buying from the States would be expensive for postage I think. To brettwalk, I have found a Weka 2 erected at the local Smith and Smith store and the entrances do seem a bit cramped as you suggested. To Geeves, we seem to be on the same page with your conclusion that light goes with expensive but cheap and heavy divided between two people isn't too much to carry. To JETNZ, Exped Mira 2 looks great but even on special at Bivouac it's still over $500. I do like the way it can be used just as a fly as pointed out by lewshaw. So the decision is yet to be made but due to the good advice given by all you contributors I feel more confident in making a choice. Thanks
Macpac Duolight - ticks all the boxes and will stay dry in a downpour. Can be pitched fly only if you want to go light. Don’t own one but have used one multiple times and seriously thinking about buying it.
11–20 of 24

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by Mr Finch
On 27 November 2017
Replies 23
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown