Digital Camera

1–10 of 28

How many of you take a camera tramping with you and what sort do you have, how good have you found it? What steps do you take to protect it in your pack? Thanks.
Yes, I take a digital camera. A small light weight digital these days will have more than enough features for a tramping trip. I keep it in a normal padded camera bag. I also have a 5L dry bag that I can chuck camera, cell phone and any other valuables in when it rains. I also take a light weight tripod for those early morning and in the bush photos. I think it is important to make an effort to take photos on a trip. Sometimes when I am tired I get lazy and don't bother to get the camera out. I attach my camera to my pack strap with a karabina so it is easy to reach when on the move. Make sure you get pictures of all the huts you visit to post on this web site.
One other point is batteries. You have to take spares on a tramping trip so when choosing a camera it is probably best to get one that takes normal AAs. Buying spare proprietary lithium batteries can be expensive.
Agree there. My new cheap digital camera does not take two normal AAs. I did not know about this before purchase. However, rechargeable nickel metal hydride batteries (mAh) worked well on my recent trip. These rechargeble ones are rather affordable. I saw those of 2700 mAh and was told that there are 3000 mAh.
I have a digital now and it saves me $$$ in film processing and multiple copies for others who were on the trip. I still print out a few but try to limit it... mine is a panasonic Lumix, DZ1 4MP I think (the model is a few yrs old now), pretty small and light (though they come smaller and lighter now). It runs on rechargeable NiMh batteries (I think the same as DZtramping above). They last ages when new (more than 9 days of holiday and 400 photos on a single charge), but not quite so long once they're older. It also can take normal AA batteries but they don't last long. I attach the camera case to the waistbelt of my pack in good weather so long as I'm not doing too much bush bashing or rock scrambling (as I tend to take a lot of photos while walking). If it's wet, in its case inside a ziplock bag inside the top flap of my pack. The camera went through the washing machine with my laundry once, I rescued it before the spin cycle but once dried out it was completely unscathed! I'm pretty pleased with it, see my website http://christinayls.webng.com for some photos the earlier ones are scanned but the later ones were all taken with it
My new and current digital camera is a late-2007 Pentax, Optio, 8.1. It does not take two normal AAs; however, I am quite happy with it based on photos taken on my recent trip over Christmas and New Year. As said, it runs well on two rechargeable mAh batteries. I think these rechargeable batteries last longer than Minolta Li-ion batteries used in my ex-loved Minolta DimAge XT digital camera (also had few spare Li-ion batteries later on) One of the major features I like these two digital cameras is compact and light. They are well-fitted in my shirt and short pockets.
I just got a low price Nikon Coolpix that takes two AA for my upcoming trip. Had an old Canon A series that took 4 AA's and is too big for pocket stashing...hence I took less pics.
I have an Olympus M720sw Shock proof (up to 1.5meter free fall) and Waterproof (up to 1.5meter depth) 7.1 megapixel it has taken some great shots despite my novice approach and extreme lack of ability. Small enough to live on my pack strap it can be taken out in any weather at a moments notice. being digital it dosnt matter how many shots i take they can be edited later and surprisingly the most unlikely shots turn out to be the best. I wouldnt leave it at home. The rechargeable battery pack last for at least a week of hard use what more could you ask for.
Picked up an Olympus M770 for the wife, as bigpaul says, perfect for the wet and does video as well. Spare battery and card is no weight at all. For myself the photography gets a little more serious and I tend to overload a bit with an Olympus E3. Combined with the latest 12 - 60 (24 - 120 35mm equivalent) its a heavy beast. Waterproof enough to take shots in the rain. Also carry 50mm macro lens and x1.4 adapter for a little more tele length. Have adapted Lowepro snoot case to clip to pack straps in front. Snoot bag is top load so quick and easy to pop camera out.
Both Olympus and Pentax have waterproof cameras. Ricoh might also have one but it is not worth considering. The only thing that the pentax and oly cameras have going for them is the waterproofness and general durability. Their products are often not up to the same standards as Canon or Panasonic. I personally own a Canon S2IS, it is a great camera but a bit bulky. A small camera which can clip on the outside of ones pack would be ideal.
1–10 of 28

Sign in to comment on this thread.

Search the forums

Forum Gear talk
Started by JillS
On 2 January 2008
Replies 27
Permanent link

Formatting your posts

The forums support MarkDown syntax. Following is a quick reference.

Type this... To get this...
Italic *Italic text* *Italic text*
Bold **Bold text** **Bold text**
Quoted text > Quoted text > Quoted text
Emojis :smile: :+1: :astonished: :heart: :smile: :+1:
:astonished: :heart:
Lists - item 1
- item 2
- item 3
- item 1 - item 2 - item 3
Links https://tramper.nz https://tramper.nz
Images ![](URL/of/image)

URL/of/image
![](/whio/image/icons/ic_photo_black_48dp_2x.png)
Mentions @username @username

Find more emojiLearn about MarkDown