Gear talk

551–575 of 658

Hi all, a question out of curiosity: Is anyone here using a stove in a tent, tipi, or underneath a tarp for cold weather trips or in winter? If so, what exactly are you using, and what are ...
Just don't expect the same durability with the siliconised nylon. The individual fibres are siliconised and it's generally stretching and abrasion which will compromise the waterproofability first. Our WE Dart gave a good few years ...
The Orikaso plates are great - light, indestructible, cheap ($6) and fold in to a bowl. Other than that I have a spork and my pocket knife. I don't take loaves of bread - tortillas sit ...
1 2 3
Yeah, its a shame dock is not common in the bush. Maybe we should start taking dock seed heads into the bush and sprinkling it around groves of onga onga. I am certain DOC would ...
Your claims about the weight on the hips arent wrong. I believe the psi is only about 65 or something close. I have,in recent times. taken to clipping my hip belt under the jacket. I ...
Canisters are readily available throughout the South Island. In some areas your food options may be limited. Trail shoes might be Okay on formed trails, For off-track routes, alpine etc, boots are recommended. DEET is common ...
Go for boots all the way. don't want shoes falling apart mid trek. there are some really light synthetic boots these days, so altho not as solid as leather, certainly better than a pair of shoes ! macpac ...
The newer red MSR pumps are quite robust and give little trouble. The primus pumps are quite good as well. In both cases the instructions say they can be left in the bottle but I ...
Hello everyone. :) I'm in the process of buying new gear. I've read quite a number of advice pieces posted here and many other places. But so far, I haven't answered all my questions. In terms of ...
Hello everyone. :) I'm in the process of buying new gear. I've read quite a number of advice pieces posted here and many other places. But so far, I haven't answered all my questions. In terms of ...
This is my first post on tramper.co.nz. Yay. Hopefully there will be many more. I figured I'd use this topic, instead of making a new one. So... Water pills. Apparently the active ingredient in modern-day pills is ...
1 2
I think Jaycar sell an adapter to allow you to use your rasor and many travel shops also sell multi socket multi voltage adapters which could be the way to go but you can also ...
I always pick on free flowing but not turbulent water for this reason. Also deep enough that you collect well away from the bottom. Ive even filled 20 litre square bottles from the Wainagwa while ...
I bought this one on sale from bivouac on boxing day last year. http://marmot.com/products/twilight_2p It's been a great tent for $300. It claims to be 3 season, but I've used it in the mountains in winter without ...
Plenty of selection on http://www.dealextreme.com/ for near bargain prices, plus they have free international postage. (feel like a spam bot writing that). Here is a thread from Huntnfish forum testing a few of them out. ...
That's pretty cool -- there's an example of the 3D view in the review at http://gps.about.com/od/handheldgpsreceivers/fr/garmin_colorado.htm (scroll down). I guess you'd need a specially compiled topo map that includes the elevation info about th...
I'd say that you choose the pack you want first and then wait for the next sale on that product. There won't be a huge difference between various sale prices for the same item. The ...
Hillbilly, Great to see another happy Aarn camper! I'm afraid I'm quite a bore on the subject... but due to chronic neck pain (and a dodgy knee) I gave up tramping about 20yrs ago. Then one ...
Not exactly answering your question, but we bought a Hilleberg tent late last year direct from them and not from the US. They were extremely helpful. And the tent is highly recommended. The groundsheet is ...
551–575 of 658

Search the forums

Gear talk Gear lists, reviews, advice, maintenance.
Topics 658
Posts 8,846
Top contributors
Permanent link