Tracks, routes, and huts

976–1,000 of 1,237

Dylster reminded me, having a green salad, scallops and a wine at Awaroa Lodge wasn't tramping but something else and it sure did taste fantastic!
Thanks stevep - I appreciate the reply. That looks quite feasible (on the map :). As most of my tramping is in the drier Australian bush, I strongly lean to walking on spurs (more open) rather ...
Syme hut on top of Fanthoms Peak (1955m) is only about 1-1.5 hours relatively easy climb from the summit, you can get some awesome sunset/sunrise's from here. It's about 4 hours from the Dawson Falls ...
Hi! my partner and I are visiting the South Island in late July/early August and we're looking for a short epic-feeling tramp without the perils or a full-on alpine crossing...we're cool with cold and snow on ...
I been swimming in October before... it was cold. But, yeah October is Spring and the days are getting warm. There can still be snow, and cold stormy days but they are less common and ...
1 2
These guys had Crampons and Ice axes with them....although most of the time they were wading through deep snow...I don't know if they had to use them on Center Pass. I think it would be ...
Do the southern crossing, not in winter tho.
An update after the fact - we did the circuit from River Rd to Mangamate, Upper Whirinaki, Central Whirinaki and out to River Rd again. Track times were very optimistic, we took much longer due ...
The forest begins at about 1300m when descending from the Pylon. Once in the forest i don't believe you will have as much difficulty because the track switches back and forth to deal with the ...
Hi folks. Trying to do some research re this peak with it on my wish list for possible consideration somethime in the summer months within the next decade hehe. Obviously it is very rarely climbed. ...
Hi - yes i am walking all the way. Thanks for the information, it's helpful. Cheers
its a route only not very well marked and faily rough.
has anyone done it in winter? in my guide book (which is pretty old) the track is only suggested for summer. I dont mind the cold, but if it is getting to exposed or difficult ...
We did the Routeburn a couple of years ago in May and had a great trip. Some rain but that is all. I guess it just depends on the weather.I really rate it though. As ...
I did this trip in April 2011. The track off the saddle is straight forward but the descent down the spur into Pussy stream is very steep. Snow would just make it harder but not ...
Sounds good. It now turns into a camping trip instead of using Waipakahi hut as a pitstop. Damn...more gear :-( I so love travelling light. I am not a cydesdale :-(
1 2
Hi there, you should be sweet, you will never come across a fence blocking a track, on a public/conservation land track. I would recommend checking out www.nztopomaps.com this might be a better bet. Also check ...
You will find route guides to some of those trips on this site http://www.tramper.co.nz/?1452 See the list of tracks
Wilkinson Horror signpost (Leslie R turnoff) to Baton Saddle : 3hrs (lots of short stops and a 10min chat with a guy descending from the saddle - he'd come across the tops from Mt Gommoroah) Baton ...
nvm, found something! Bailkie Hut, 9km from the Mt Cook road, doing a dayhike up the hills today. Most amazing sunrise! And internet coverage... yea, I have my laptop with me, I couldnt find an ...
If you are in the Routeburn area, also consider the Rees-Dart loop, with a side trip to Cascade Saddle (5-day).
Hey all. I'm heading up Waggon Creek in the Paparoa National Park for the first time on (approx) the 16th of this month weather permitting for 3 nights / days of exploration. Anyone been up there? Anything ...
Yip that's the link - have been emailing Dave too - but no new, news of yet - the swathes of Wilderness Magazine readers may show interest in this topic as the April mag is ...
Your Hollyford one was a beauty. We met you as we finished.
Thanks for the responses! Nope, not afraid to off-road a bit, definitely going to check out Abel Tasman Coast and the Inland. Cheers!
976–1,000 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,097
Top contributors
Permanent link