Tracks, routes, and huts

1,101–1,125 of 1,237

Carroll Hut on the Kelly Tops requires nothing but walking uphill. Bob's Camp Biv/Pinchgut Hut should be OK depending how much snow is on the foothills. I just did the Jollie Brook / Gabriel Loop ...
I think it was in NZ, only used it twice and DOCs don't get hacked. Still waiting to see about the dispute. Cheers.
1 2
We went up the Waitaha March 09. Not to bad to Moonbeam. We were troubled more by flooded side creeks than the track. Spent two nights camping, one just before Kiwi flats hut and one ...
Saw a photo in a National Geographic. The Amazonian Indian woman had the entire household effects on her back in a huge basket, including a bunch of bananas (about 30 of 'em). Her other half ...
Just about to put up a post on the Dragon's Teeth route and the low route as this information is not yet on this site. Hope you got good wx and were able to do ...
Thanks for the info guys, its very reasuring.We had a car broken into a few years ago when we were at Mitre Flats hut so i still get a bit paranoid.Cheers, John.
Thanks for the info. I'm of the same opinion as you about the hunters so not too concerned about that issue. I'm surprised about the vandalism at Plateau carpark as I thought it would be ...
Anybody heard of this? It's a 4 day/70km walk in the Waitakere Ranges that opened January this year. How cool to have such a long track right by Auckland. http://www.arc.govt.nz/albany/index.cfm?6C0A62BC-14C2-3D2D-B9D2-7947C7126971
I wrote a description of our trip and some comments on other routes. It can be found at: http://www.tramper.co.nz/?4858 When Frank and I descended the NW branch you describe, we left the stream and dropped down to ...
Cheers for the reply, We had a good tramp, nice and flat and the crossings were not to much of an issue, although it was a good chance to try out our new river crossing ...
Thanks, Bigpaul, that's great!
KatAttack: Thank you very much for your input. My mind is finally set on what to do re Tongariro. I will obtain permission to leave my camper van vehicle at Chateau Tongariro, have them transport ...
1 2 3
Have you contacted Track Net in Te Anau?There were other people on board when we went early May.They seem to stop services for a couple of days when booking season ends, then gear up again ...
Camped in the car park over night and walked up from Waipakihi Rd to about NZ50 1845385, 5653957 - shot up a quite prominent ridge heading SEbE and got on the tops at NZ50 1846404, ...
Just did this tramp last weekend over Travers peak from Lewis pass to Zampa Tarn. A steady climb up through the beech to the bushline and then a grunt up to the top. Fantastic walking along ...
You may need to get a more up to date map. The new park map is availible from the DOC office on the Auckland water front. There hasnt been a hut on premier creek for ...
Oh yes, just heard from the Otago Tramping & Mountaineering Club who just had a trip through that area. They said there is still quite a lot of snow around, especially above Lake Nerine and ...
1 2
The race went well, bit hot but didn't rain til later in the day. Gutted that the best night for the climb was before the race. As above,5 of us decided to ignore the weather forecast, ...
1 2
Ive been on the Milford Track in early May. Just check with DOC or Track Net in Te Anau. Transport will contintue to be provided for as long as the weather is suitable.No idea how ...
coming to new zealand end of jan. till 30 march would like to explore both north and south islands. would I be better off weather wise to do the north or south first.I plan on ...
I expect it won't be long before the Rees-Dart becomes listed as a great walk. More foot bridges, flush toilets and huts accommodating dozens now. Because of the transport most people start at Muddy Ck ...
Hi ray78. I've only visited one great walk, and opinions on this may vary. As much as I enjoy getting off-track, bush-bashing and camping, my general theory with great walks is that if I wanted to ...
You would have to do it outside of Great Walks season as the falls are closer to the Milford Sound end of the track then the Te Anau end, and you cant walk Milford to ...
A group from the TTC followed the Penn Creek route in 2007, doing the loop as a long daywalk, and wrote about it at http://www.ttc.org.nz/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/TripReports/2007-09-22-PennCreekRevisited It sounds do-able with lots of caution, skill ...
That's some impressive territory your covering there John but I'd hasten to point out that our fella is a self-confessed fairly inexperienced tramper and there's a lot of tops travel involved in your route which ...
1,101–1,125 of 1,237

Search the forums

Tracks, routes, and huts Ideas, plans, trip reports.
Topics 1,237
Posts 10,097
Top contributors
Permanent link