The campfire

151–175 of 1,484

All the best with the shoulder recovery. I heard that ski field first aid posts could relocate a shoulder by telling the injured snowboarder etc. to take off their jacket! I think it has to ...
Thumbs up
the stats in the report arent much use, they dont discriminate on the severity of the injury and they don't factor in how much more likely people might be getting injured than if you take ...
1 2
Thumbs up Grinning
A trip leader from a previous tramping club I was in some 30 years ago lead us astray quite spectacularly in the Ruahinis. This was some 30 years ago or more. Cant remember which hut ...
1 2 3 4 5
Thumbs up Grinning Confused
I thought that was the pasta test - Throw it at the wall. If it sticks it's primo ?.
After reading this thread and then watching a couple of young ladies wolf dcwn half a pint of cream with their muesli, I resisted the urge to ask for a splash in my black coffee.
1 2 3
Thumbs up Grinning Heart
Gee, I must be on another planet then. I find the magazine is pretty good. There's no comparison between it and the Australian equivalent. I think the Wilderness articles are interesting and relevant and the digital ...
1 2
Thumbs up Grinning
Yeah. Ha ha guys !. Usually stop for coffees etc when with a car pool. Dragging yourself out of the car and unfolding is the hardest part of the trip.
Thumbs up Grinning
Just another update in the facebook page LANDSAR new zeland. They showing a video of search and rescue team on top of the ranges with an atrocious wind while they were looking this guy.
1 2 3
Thumbs up
neck, theres a soft case for it that lets you attach it on to a belt or strap with webbing straps
1 2
people are so used to mobile saturation in populated areas, they dont realise how much infrastructure is required to get that saturation, people get some coverage in the mountains and they think they are fine, ...
1 2
Thumbs up
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. Si-dog: The Kaipararo plane wreck track is near the bush edge of Mt Kaipararo, accessed from Kaipararo road end. Track to it is easy to find as it is well marked ...
What do maps do? That seems easy: they locate you in space. But they can also put you in time. Ngāi Tahu's innovative Kā Huru Manu is one of those maps. As an interactive cultural ...
Thumbs up
Maggie & I had 16 days on our backs winter 2013 for the Hollyford/Pyke but extended to 18 days with a surprise junkfood airdrop at Big Bay.Lot of exploring,2 night stays in some huts with ...
Took some mates out recently for an overnighter in Aussie. Nothing like NZ and not many loos around. Had no idea about pooing in the woods and had to do a full rehearsal for them ...
David Barnes has written a series of short articles for the FMC website wilderlife.nz about the differences between the differing classifications of conservation areas. https://wilderlife.nz/author/david-barnes/
I've had mixed success taping toes up too. Currently trying light weight Injinji toe-socks as a sock liner. They are also made of Coolmax polyester. So far so good but haven't been tested on a ...
1 2
Just an FYI on sales in general - end of season clearance is the best time to get usually the best price on any outdoor gear. Most companies will clear stock at the same as ...
Grinning
We were planning on tenting (but taking hut tickets just in case). And yes, I expect it to be fairly busy, but hopefully with a tent we'll keep it reasonably quiet. Thanks for the coin tips, I'll ...
Hi tararua 1, wondering how you got on with this trip? Am looking at doing similar in early march 2019 so would be keen for some advice about certain aspects of it. I am also ...
great walks arent so bad in good weather at the huts, people can spread themselves around outside, but when the weather is rough, you've got up to 50 people crammed in and some of the ...
1 2 3 4
Thumbs up
Last week in Nelson Lakes there was hardly anyone in the valleys and it wasn’t until we got up to Angelus hut that we encountered more people. Stunning day up the Cedric route and along ...
1 2 3
Thumbs up
Icy 3 wire. Sounds like fun. I think I would be looking to ford the river
1 2
Thumbs up
I know many of the subscribers to this forum are well travelled so I thought I might pick a few brains regarding China. I am thinking of doing a month there, two weeks on a ...
it did, they arent on mt cook, they are beneath the footstool which is opposite the hooker valley from Mt cook
Without a doubt, this country's worst ever wildlife smuggler was Frederick Robert Angell, or Freddie Angell as he became universally known. Operating in New Zealand during the entire 1990s and a few year after 2000, his ...
151–175 of 1,484

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,484
Posts 20,729
Top contributors
Permanent link