The campfire

1,376–1,400 of 1,486

I had a very short slide on Sastrugi yesterday and have a bruise here or there and a scratch on the ribs... As my Mountain-Goat-Zen-Friend says: "self arrest is all good and well, but no ...
Mt Tapuae-o-Uenuku, The sacred footsteps to the rainbow, 2885m Added the above story and photos to the website! www.hellmission.webs.com
The Hell Mission Tramping CLub- www.freewebs.com/hellmission/ adding the Mt Tapuae-o-Uenuku Story soon!
Okay -- the forum removed the email address. For the record, it's [Firstname].[Lastname] at maf.govt.nz.
Funny you should mention this because the basic pattern you've cited really irritates me with the entire news bulletin. I no longer bother to watch TV news frequently enough to know whether TVNZ or TV3 ...
1 2 3
Thanks everyone.
It is under 'moderate hell missions' and is about my three day trip into the Ruahines! www.freewebs.com/hellmission/
There is very little up there at the moment due to melt and rain. although patchy it was a bit icey up on the Ngamoko Range and a bit hairy without crampons or ice axe! ...
Thanks guys it makes sense now
Stoked, cheers guys. Actually can't wait...I'm due to submit my thesis on the Southern Alps end of Feb, gonna be on the first flight down the next day!
I pack pretty much the same however long I'm going for, except for food: Tent goes down one side (only way it fits) if I am carrying one. Sleeping bag and liner go at the bottom. Shoved ...
1 2
rileyz: I've just appended a comment to the end of your article for now. Please feel welcome to incorporate it if you like.
1 2
Yep I'm getting better at writing...just completed this trip this weekend. Canyoning in the Ruahines Upon careful negotiation of the road in we arrived at the Waipawa River at 8:30am. Immediately the cold hit us, although sun ...
Yeah I noticed. It's in Bivouac (Wgtn) for the same price retail, so I should hopefully be able to get a discount out of them. I just checked and R&R Sport's stocking it for the ...
1 2
Have you tried the Army Surplus type shops or perhaps Trade Me? How many litres is 6 pints? I could have have a look up this way as I would like to get hold of ...
The Police raids were at Ruatoki on the Whakatane River. The Waimana to the east is also a hot bed of ferment with the road being blocked etc. The DOC pamphlet on http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/eas...
Got my other Ruahine Story from the other week when the southerly rolled in under overnight-Pinacles of Ice got photos up to. Will have another one on next week after I go for a two solo ...
They don't really say a lot. I wonder if it was a suicide rather than a tramper in trouble.
I must admit, I quite enjoy reading the graffiti at times in old huts... Kind of like a permanent hut log book. I never added to it myself.
1 2
Lately the president of ATC has been promoting the idea of further training. What sort of training for overnight trips would be most relevant? We must see what the issues are that prompted the calls ...
actually cold water works.
1 2 3
Re the wire bridge over the Mungo. I would think that there is a typo in the article, can't imagine DOC doing a 2 wire but more likely a 3 wire? If I go into ...
1 2 3
The first time I went tramping with one it got moisture in it and started texting nonsense txts to the first person on my contacts lists. I took the Battery out to stop it. Did ...
1 2
Cableways Some limestone rock bivs around Ruahine Cnr Kawhatau River-Ruahines Ngaruroro River-Kawekas, Rocks Ahead Hut
Amateur bugs?
1,376–1,400 of 1,486

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,486
Posts 20,731
Top contributors
Permanent link