The campfire

126–150 of 1,486

Yes, walking across the tarmac at Dunedin airport the other day in rain, wind and about 5C was a reminder of just how miserable and heat robbing that combination of factors can be.
1 2
Thumbs up
Polarised and UV protection are different things. Sunglasses could be polarised but not offer good UVA and UBA protection. The main thing is to make sure they offer UV protection. If you don't mind spending ...
I was really fit at the time, I was postholing through snow sometimes thigh deep along ridgetops in winter in the tararuas, all day, and up and down steep slopes for four days, got sick, ...
1 2
Grinning Thumbs up
Would anyone be down for a forum group tramp of the Southern Crossing? Get a few people together, etc...
1 2 3
Thumbs up Grinning
I never had issues either but seen plenty of evidence others were not as lucky. Otaki and Holdsworth glass on the ground Otaki burnt cars on roadside Old Kaitoke park locked like a stock car track. ...
1 2 3 4
Thumbs up Grinning
the stats in the walk in the park report were misleading, you cant just spit out numbers like that, you have to take into account what the standard rate of medical problems and accidents of the ...
Thumbs up
I'm not sure how it's an income stream. If anything it spends government money, from DOC and from Police and from lotteries. Certainly an entity that's existed for several decades, has cut ties with the bulk ...
Regarding the road seal story source. last november while i was waiting at the info centre for my ride to the trailhead i got talking to one of the young ladies who works in the ...
1 2
Thumbs up Grinning
Photographer accidentally runs afoul of conservation rules with pics of Mt Taranaki https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/114191801/photographer-accidentally-runs-afoul-of-conservation-rules-with-pics-of-mt-taranaki
1 2
Thumbs up
it mentioned in the article he thought he couldn't go forwards or back the way he came
thanks for the link. I caught a bit of the interview and it was really entertaining.
Thanks to all who posted. Wonderful insights, thoughtful proposals, stimulating discussion. Cheers~
1 2 3 4 5
Thumbs up
found in the riverbed, believed to have drowned trying to cross the river
@TararuaHunter I'm not 100% sure of the year now, but I think it was late November 2009. If you know Tony Matheson he may still have the phone call I made to him jotted down ...
5 6 7 8 9
Thumbs up Confused
izogi - that's really useful, thank you! I've often come across your blog when researching trips :) Will give those a good read now but already looking highly relevant - the Nelson Mail editorial especially.
Heart
The line may of been frayed or not tied properly causing the failure.
I had friends kayak L. Hauroko some years ago and remember their talking about the wind roaring down the lake. Maybe it was the Lady of the Lake's revenge! Hauroko is Maori for sounding wind.
Thumbs up
The military aren't the only ones working on such things. I have seen more agile (maybe less robust) units.
1 2 3 4 5
Thumbs up Grinning
13/04/2019 Mt Lancelot A PLB activation was picked up by the Rescue Coordination Centre (RCC) in Wellington at approx. 1920hrs, from a location near the Crow Hut in the upper Crow Valley. RCC dispatched the West ...
Thumbs down Thumbs up
I don't think its only the 'ultralite' crowd that get into trouble. Most SAR callouts are for trampers, making wrong decisions, not knowing or ignoring the likely weather, the risk on the exposed tops. Probably mountain ...
Thumbs up
found https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/112178733/search-under-way-for-missing-tramper-missing-in-canterbury-high-country
This is hilarious for anyone who's been around American long-distance hikers haha https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oxpObyS4DE&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR0QHNVKdw_UitisIo7Z_HxizBxWlgmwV7LKrJIm73GZsV91sE_zHNQ093I
Glen Currie has started a Facebook page called Mount Somers Walkway and made me an administrator.For a number of reasons,this will be temporary for me and someone else will pick up the baton.The Mt Somers ...
I pick and choose what threads to read. If I don't like the thread or it is of no interest to me - or if a boring know-all is relentlessly posting, then I don't read ...
1 2
Thumbs up
Car hire - can work out cheaper than shuttle and infinitely more flexible.
126–150 of 1,486

Search the forums

The campfire General talk.
Topics 1,486
Posts 20,731
Top contributors
Permanent link