I have an 8-day window for a possible tramp 11/17-24, and an important aim will be to do some trout fishing. That's why I'm picking the fishiest area from my several February tramps back in 2010 :)
How likely is it that rains will spoil my fishing and make me feel stupid for flying all the way over from a business trip in Melbourne?
I confess I'm having decision paralysis on this. A month or five weeks is enough time to find good fishing conditions; but with just a week to spend, am I setting myself up for disappointment?
Please let me know all thoughts and opinions, thanks!
That's right on the cusp of the Summer-like season. But, you may as well flip that coin now. Too far out to tell the weather pattern. Forecasts are fairly good from a week out. Weather radar is pretty accurate from a few days out. Good luck !.
Yup guys, that sounds like the voice of reason. I don't mind rain per se, but I've seen how the Wangapeka can turn from a lovely little clear stream to a torrent overnight. Didn't see the Karamea River in full voice, but I bet it's impressive.
This is a tough call. The only real reason to step up and say "sure I'll go to the conference in Melbourne" is if I can do a trouty tramp afterward :)
I say roll the dice and go for it. Only heaven knows what NZ weather will be like on any given day. We only live one, short life so why not go? Besides, hanging out in the NZ backcountry, regardless of your activity/inactivity, is not a bad way to spend a few days.
Yup, I'm almost certainly going to be optimistic and just go for it. With just seven nights on the trail, I may have to pick one end or the other -- Flora car park and down & back from Leslie River, or Rolling Junction in and out. I hate having to rush and love farting around fishing :)
You know, I actually own a light-ish waterproof PLB that generally stays in my kayaking PFD pocket. I'm so weight-uptight for backpacking that I never bring it, including on solo trips with many miles of cross-country. Probably sounds ill-advised, but heck, I made it to 51 without any major debacles, bonebreaks, or rescue calls! :)
Now that I'm sold on the trip, the main concern in my mind is whether I'll be able to find isobutane canisters that work with a snow peak "litemax" stove. Seem to remember that Nelson was pretty well stocked with outdoor gear, so maybe that's not a worry.
Not trying to have a go, but why wouldn't you take a plb? All it takes is one mishap and circumstances could turn pear shaped quickly. The weight/encumbrance is nominal considering it could save your life. My niece finally knocked some sense into me a few years ago, saying, "Uncle, the technology exists so why wouldn't you pack something that could mean the difference between life and death?"
Nelson has some great outdoor stores to supply you with all your needs. Check out Rollos on Bridge Street.
My PLB weighs 143 grams. Clearly my life is worth less than 143 grams?
Unless you're one of those persons why do not want to be rescued as they fully accept all risks and get in and out all by themselves, not taking 143 grams sound like a very stupid trade-off.