An outstanding example of bush carpentry. Built in 1946, renovated using original techniques in 1987. Adzed totara plank sleeping platform, dirt floor. Water from nearby stream. Interesting long drop - "Punga House of Pohy". Nice picnic table outside.
This hut is the second oldest hut in the Tararuas, and is maintained by the Tararua Tramping Club.
|Access||6 hours from the Kaitoke road end (1 hour from Tutuwai Hut), 5 hours across Cone Saddle from Totara Flats Hut.|
|Facilities||Toilet, Open fireplace|
|Water supply||Water from stream|
|Mobile phone coverage|